The verbs are in red with the multi-word verbs in brackets to show the link between the verb and its particles. More formal alternatives to the multi-word verbs are in square brackets at the end of the sentence. Prepositional phrases following verbs are in blue.
- We (signed in) so that we could get our keys before we went to the meeting. [registered]
- The girl looked into his eyes and smiled.
- Why should you (stand by) someone who has lied repeatedly? [support, back]
- The child ran over the beach to build a sandcastle beside the sea.
- The newly married couple signed in the registrar’s book.
- The councillor promised (to look into) the problems caused by the potholes. [investigate]
- ‘I could stand by the wall so that the wind isn’t too cold.’
- The driver (ran over) the cat and did not stop. [hit]