Read the following sentences and find all the verbs. Then decide which ones are multi-word verbs, and which verbs are followed by a prepositional phrase (preposition + determiner + noun). Remember that multi-word verbs can usually be replaced by a single, more formal verb. Can you think of an alternative in each case?
- We signed in so that we could get our keys before we went to the meeting.
- The girl looked into his eyes and smiled.
- Why should you stand by someone who has lied repeatedly?
- The child ran over the beach to build a sandcastle beside the sea.
- The newly married couple signed in the registrar’s book.
- The councillor promised to look into the problems caused by the potholes.
- ‘I could stand by the wall so that the wind isn’t too cold.’
- The driver ran over the cat and did not stop.